Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders
Autism and the pervasive developmental disorders (PDDs) are conditions characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, communication and unusual behaviors.
What are the Symptoms?
- Difficulties sharing emotions, sharing interests
- Maintaining a back-and-forth conversation
- Issues with nonverbal communication
- Trouble maintaining eye contact
- Trouble reading body language
- Difficulties developing and maintaining relationships
- Repetitive movements, motions, or speech patterns
- Rigid adherence to specific routines or behaviors
What are the main risk factors for Autism?
- Having an immediate family member with autism
- Genetic mutations
- Metabolic imbalances
- Exposure to heavy metals and environmental toxins
- A history of viral infections
About 1 in 100 children in India under age 10 has autism, and nearly 1 in 8 has at least one Neuro-developmental condition.